Concrete pools are strong and long-lasting pool with endless design possibilities. Since both shotcrete and gunite are long-lasting, deciding which material will work best for a particular concrete pool installation depends largely on the design and shape of the pool itself. Woodfield Outdoors has been installing concrete pools in the Baltimore area for more than 25 years, so you can trust our expertise.
Gunite vs. Shotcrete Comparison
Gunite: A gunite pool is an in-ground pool shell formed by spraying a dry cement mixture at a high velocity and pressure, then manually mixing it with water via the installer.
Shotcrete: A shotcrete pool is an in-ground pool shell formed by spraying a premixed combination of cement and water.
All types of concrete — whether cast-in-place, gunite, or shotcrete — can produce long-lasting pool shells if expertly installed. Using one technique at the exclusion of the others may subtract from the benefits of all three processes, and expert pool builders agree that there is a place for all methods at certain stages in the pool construction process.
Concrete Pool Installation Process
The pool design ad concrete pool installation process of both gunite and shotcrete pools is very similar; the only difference is in the concrete spraying stage. In every case, concrete pool installation involves the following steps:
- Consultation with a Woodfield Outdoors design team member, who will work with you to integrate a concrete pool into your existing landscape or include it as part of a larger outdoor living space, which could include a patio, outdoor kitchen, or fireplace.
- Careful measurement and excavation of your space by our trusted Woodfield crews.
- Installation of adequate plumbing as determined by your project’s specific needs.
- Woodfield crew members then install a reinforced cage of 3/8” steel rebars into the site excavated for the concrete pool, placing them at a distance of ten inches and securing the reinforcement with a wire.
- Next our dedicated crew will begin the application of concrete – either gunite or shotcrete – onto the reinforcement. Both are applied in a similar fashion, using a compressed air and spray mechanism. In gunite application, the cement and water do not mix completely until the spray hits the surface, so having trusted operators performing this critical step is crucial to ensuring an exceptional final product. After application of either gunite or shotcrete, compressed air is blasted over the surface for compaction of the material. After this, Woodfield crews manually level the surface using a trowel.
- After a week’s curing, a finish is applied on the concrete. This may be plaster, paint, or fixing tiles. We are authorized pool builders for Pebble Technology Pool Finishes which add a custom touch to your new concrete pool. The pool is now complete and ready to be filled and enjoyed as part of your backyard living space for many seasons to come.
Swimming Pool Contractors You Can Trust
Woodfield Outdoors has been in business as swimming pool contractors for more than 25 years, and we stand behind our workmanship. We offer quality concrete pool installation and pool repair to the greater Baltimore area, including Baltimore County, Harford County, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County areas. We also work in northern Delaware. Call us today at 443-299-6500 or use our contact form to schedule a free estimate.
Get a Free Estimate
We recently had major landscaping done by Woodfield, Inc. and are very pleased with the results. The design was excellent, the plants, flowers and trees were quality products and the workmanship was top notch. We appreciate the timely response and professionalism you gave from the start to finish. The hardwork you and the landscaping crew gave to the project has…read more→
Thank you so much for the beautiful tile replacement on our San Juan pool. Your workers did a great job and were very friendly and professional. We look forward to using your services again in the future!
Woodfield installed a fiberglass pool, sitting wall, stone fire-pit and over 1300 square feet of pavers to complete our backyard! We are more than happy with all the work and customer service provided by all team members. We recommend Woodfield to all who are looking for a professional completed (turn-key) project. Thanks Woodfield for a job well done 🙂.Our home…read more→