When we talk about outdoor fireplaces, we’re talking about large, built-in structures. Nothing portable, and…
Ah. The cool, crisp air of autumn is finally here. If you’re one of the many people who loves to entertain outdoors when the weather is great, you may be looking for some fall patio ideas to switch things up a bit and add to the ambience.
We’ve pulled together 12 of our favorite fall patio ideas. You can use these ideas for inspiration, and make each project your own.
1. Create a welcoming, fall-tastic display with straw bales, mums, pumpkins, and decorative gourds. You can add visual impact with bold, seasonal colors including orange, red and bright yellow.
2. Spruce up the landscaping around your patio and plant some mums, ornamental cabbages, and other native plants with color interest.
3. Consider adding rustic stone edging or steps for a woodsy or country feel. You can place baskets, flowers and pumpkins on the steps for added appeal.
4. Fall is also a good time to add a retaining wall for natural seating, and to give you more space to decorate!
5. Add a wooden gate or an archway entrance to your patio retreat for privacy and beauty. Consider adding vining plants for a nature-inspired look.
6. Think about adding a swing to your patio area to cozy up on with your favorite beverage and some of your favorite people. People of every age love a swing. Create a cozy seating arrangement by pulling up a few chairs next to the swing.
7. Consider adding a wet bar to make preparing those beverages a snap – you don’t have to go inside and miss a minute of the fun.
8. Let the lighting set the mood – hang up outdoor lanterns and add string lighting such as fairy lights. Turn your backyard into a magical place.
9. If you don’t already have a fire pit, now is the perfect time to add one. Think s’mores!
10. Add some candles. Think fall scents like cinnamon and apple pie.
11. Spread around some cozy blankets for an added layer of comfort.
12. Up the coziness level with an outdoor rug in a warm fall color.
Don’t Stop with the Patio – More Fall Backyard Ideas
Did you know Fall is one of the best times to plant trees? Fall planting allows trees to establish a root system before the high temperatures of summer. If summer took a toll on your landscape, or you’d like to add shade in the summer and bright colors in the fall, consider planting a deciduous tree in the maple or oak families.
Looking to add privacy? You could build a fence, but you could also build a natural looking retaining wall, or a wall of evergreen shrubs or trees.
Be sure to consult with a landscape design team to ensure you are choosing trees that are well suited for your area and your location. There are few things worse than having to cut down a beautiful tree because someone didn’t plan ahead.